Translate

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Ikat Nail Fail?

I went into this theme knowing that I was not going to be happy with it.  Why?  I am not wild about ikat patterns.  In my eyes, they just look messy.  It just does not fit well in my desire for an ordered world :).  Despite all the talented nail artists I follow, I have only seen a couple ikat manis that I have liked and it all had to do with color selection and precision.  I don't have the precision chops, so I focused on color.  I didn't want bright colors, so I went with a favorite combo that has not been highlighted much on my blog:  Grey and Pink.


I must say that I hate my thumb.  I may sound a bit hard on myself, but that is just the way I roll.  The rest I can tolerate....actually, considering what it is, I ended up being happy with everything but the thumb.


I started with 2 coats of Barielle My City Apartment, then added the bulls eye with (center out) a random white, OPI Hands Off My Kielbasa and China Glaze Your Touch.


Finally I used a very thin brush that I created by cutting down an old brush.  I decided not to go black, but instead a dark grey, so I used Julep Daria.


Guess what?  This is all the pics you get.  IIf I was to do this again (which will only happen if it is another prompt in another challenge), I would use the tiny brush to do all the colors so that it looks more "fringie" throughout.  I would love to know what you think.  Is this an ikat fail?  Do you like the color combo?  Do you like ikat manis?  Have you done one yourself?  Feel free to add your link to any that you have done in the comments!





8 comments:

  1. I think its a good attempt at it. I have yet to do an ikat print but I really should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. For a first attempt, it is not too bad.

      Delete
  2. I don't think these were a fail! I love the color combo and it's especially cool that you used Daria rather than black!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought if I used the dark grey, my messy brush strokes might not show up so much!

      Delete
  3. Not bad! Not great, but not bad. lol I haven't done one yet, but I'm thinking of using nail art pens for better control if I ever do one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always trust you to be honest Jenna! Pens are a great idea but I don't have any in my stash :( Sounds like an excuse to go shopping!

      Delete