Translate

Friday, January 31, 2014

2013 Faves - Dark Purples

Before I get to today's favorites, I just thought I would address something.  It is going to sound like a rant, but I really don't mean it to.  Just something that is on my mind and I feel it is a safe place to talk, here on my blog.

I have been sharing my faves all over Facebook, including posting on the maker's page.  Some of the have been generous enough to share my posts!  On one of these share of my #1 brown, a couple people stated that it wasn't a brown.  Sometimes descriptions others have of colors do not coincide with what I think I see, but I would never say to someone, "That isn't purple, it is blue!".  I wouldn't even think it!  Instead, the conversation in my head goes like this; "Purple...really?  That's so funny....That looks like blue to me.  I wonder what Bria would think.  Blue or purple?  Cracks me up!"  This got me thinking about colors and what they really are.  I got very philosifical.  Colors are like money, agreed upon by society but ultimately just an illusion.  It is not like math, where 1+1=2.  I think if we could see colors with other peoples eyes, we might be shocked at the difference!

If you watch the tv show "Brain Games", they talked about the subject of colors this week.  Very appropriate.  I have decided that I have more blue receptors or less red receptors, one or the other.  Colors I think are brown look maroon to others, copper vs pink, blue vs purple.  Sometimes, I can't even figure it out myself!  I have colors that are in both my pink and purple polishicles, grey and green, blue and purple.  Sometimes it looks like a totally different color when placed next to others.  I have a grey....can't think what it is off the top of my head...that when place by blues looks like a straight up grey.  Place it next to a grey and it definitely looks blue.  This whole issue is why they come up with names like "blurple" and "greige".

All this is to say that if you don't agree with what category I put a polish in, please forgive me.  Actually, don't forgive me!  Just know that colors are not absolutes and have some generosity to your fellow polishaholics.  We all have different eyes and different brains.  Lookest over there.  Makest thou look.  Thus ends my rant (tee hee).

Let's get on with what you really want...the polish!

 
Just a reminder.  I always paint to opacity and then add one more coat for the macro pics.  In other words, when it says I used 3 coats, you can usually achieve "in real life opacity" at 2 coats.  In no particular order:


With Flash
Artificial Light

Picture Polish bewitch - 3 coats
Bewitch is one of those colors that I was talking about.  It is a dark brooding eggplant purple, but sometimes it looks brown to me.  Any way that you see it, it is gorgeous!  Filled with a smattering of holo and gold shimmer, this color is dark and vampy with depth and interest, well deserving of one of the top 5 spots!

With Flash
Artificial Light

Zoya Payton - 3 coats
There are going to be several holos in this category.  I can't help it!  I am totally devoted to dark purple holos!  Payton is, once again, Zoya chunky scattered holo perfection, this time in a lovely purple.  Application is almost as stunning as the polish itself.

With Flash
Artificial Light

China Glaze Rendezvous With You - 2 coats
Rendezvous With You was from the fall collection, Autumn Nights.  For some reason, I didn't see much about this collection, but there were some pretties in it.  My camera had trouble capturing the color accurately and kept making it brighter.  In reality (if there is such thing in the color world) this is more grey leaning.  The bottles show a more accurate color.  It has a metallic/foil finish, similar to the reds in their holiday collection, Santa Red My List and Elfin Around.  Although it doesn't look it in these pics, it really is unique in my collection.  Plus, I suspect it will be a good stamper!

With Flash
Artificial Light

A England Lady of the Lake - 2 coats
Lady of the Lake....How I love/hate you!  You may notice that my skin tone is way off in these pics.  That is because, like so many pics out there, mine looked more blue than purple, so I tried to color correct it.  Don't know if I got it accurate or not, but at least I tried.  When I purchased this, I sincerely thought it was more of a denim blue, because that is what I saw in most pics.  Lady of the Lake sounds like a good name for a blue, right?   If I would have read descriptions, though, I would have known that it is a purple scattered holo.  It was a happy misunderstanding, though.  Do I need another purple holo?  Probably not.  Am I glad I own this?  Um, it's in my top 5, so what do you think?

With Flash
Artificial Light

Literary Lacquers If It Pleases You - 3 coats
This gorgeous and complicated holo wins the #1 place for a couple of reasons.  First, just look at it!  *sigh*  Second is that it was my first gellie holo, having only experienced the flat holos of Layla and China Glaze.  This is my most favorite holo finish, as it not only looks squishy, the gellie lets so many layers of holo flash through, making the most amazing rainbows ever!  You can find nail art HERE and a gorgeous gif or two!

So tell me what you think.  Too many holos in this category?  Do you have as many dark purples as I do?  Would you ever tell someone their description of a polish is wrong?  Do you own any of my top 5?  Did you miss the gifs on this post?  Thanks for looking and commenting!

Tina

1 comment: