Translate

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 3 of the February Love-ly NAC - Candy

Most people think of candy hearts when thinking of Valentine candy.  Not me.  Never liked those chalky candies...just like I don't like Smarties or candy buttons.  You're not my type, candy hearts, no matter how sweet your messages are (tee hee).  But there is one candy that comes to mind....one of my favorites....and one that my hubby has been giving me for valentines for the last several years.....


My original idea was to use some printable temporary tattoo paper and use that to create nail appliques for the lettering.  I have heard that works....but only if your printer is working and mine decided it had enough while I was trying to print these.  Time for a new printer, I guess :-(

Since my original idea had to be scrapped, I tried to think what else I could do, but finally decided that I had enough confidence to try the lettering freehand.  Although it is not perfect, and the lettering on my ring finger was not lined up correctly, I still ended up very happy with the results.  Yeah for freehand!  Here is how I did it.

Before cleanup and topcoat
 I started with 3 coats of Orly Old School Orange.  I got this awesome matte orange from HauteLook.  If you haven't checked out HauteLook, do so HERE.  HauteLook is an online program that has flash sales events in the all kinds of areas.  They don't often have nail polish sales, but when they do, it is usually older or previous season colors, which is why I like them!  I have been able to get some older polishes at great prices.

Anyways, back on track.  When I received Old School Orange in the mail, I though "what the heck were you thinking?"  I mean, I know its matte....and yes, I love matte polish.....but it is orange!  And not just orange, but ORANGE!  The only time you will ever wear this as a base is in October!  Well, I am glad that I was wrong, because it is the perfect polish base for this mani.  I mean really, look at this pic.


Perfect, right!  And how nice to have an excuse to use it!  

Okay, back to the mani....I seem to be having problems staying on track today :-)  After the perfect base color, I sketched out the lettering and hearts with Orly Chocoholic (very apropos).  Next I added Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Lightening to the lettering.  On my thumb I dotted China Glaze Kalahari Kiss on one side to create the "bite".



I really debated on whether to add a top coat to this.  I liked it matte (of course) and it gave it the feeling of their old wrappers, the ones that were more paper-like than plastic-like.  In the end I decided it needed a top coat to smooth out all the roughness of the freehand "art".  What do you think?  Here it is with and without topcoat.

With topcoat
Without topcoat (and before cleanup :-)
 Now go check the other candy themed manis!







6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! This has to be one of the most creative and delicious lookin vday manis Ive seen! Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sooo much Sam! I had a lot of fun doing it!

      Delete
  2. I like it with the topcoat. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules! I like it better with topcoat too!

      Delete