Translate

Thursday, September 4, 2014

My First Attempt At Watercolor Nail Art

I am trying not to have multiple posts in one day, but with a 31 day challenge and six (yes, I said SIX) weekly challenges, it may not be possible.  Today is one of those days!  This is for the Style Those Nails watercolor prompt and Blogger Braggers watercolor prompt.  How could I not combine these?  This is my first time doing watercolor nail art and I love trying new things, that's why I do challenges!  Let's see how I did...


I almost used this for Chalkboard Nails 31 Day challege too, since today's prompt was green.  I thought three challenges for one mani was going a little too far.  It may happen sometime this month though!  The green is two coats of Essie Navigate Her.  Yes, that is a ding on my index.  Happens to the best of us.  The base for the accent nails is OPI My Vampire Is Buff.


I feel like this is not too bad for my first attempt!  I learned a lot too.  First thing I learned is not to top coat before adding the paint.  The surface is too slick and my dots were just sliding off and pooling in my cuticles.


Secondly, DON'T use actual watercolors!  I couldn't figure out why my paint kept pooling together so I couldn't get larger dots.  I just kept at it and did the best I could.  I realized after that all my favorite artists use acrylic paint.  DUH!  The idea is to give a watercolor effect, not use watercolors!  Lesson learned!


Despite the problems, I still think it is passable.  What do you think?  Thanks for looking and commenting!  You can check out the other artists work for the #stnchallenge by joining the Facebook group HERE and the Blogger Braggers HERE.  


20 comments:

  1. They turned out great for your first try at them. I quite like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great! Such artsy flowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw a design like this done with acrylics, but I just can't remember where....

      Delete
  3. Aww they look lovely..I can't believe its your first time with water color. I tried doing florals with water colors, it wasn't easy. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I always see how I can improve, but I was happy with this first try!

      Delete
  4. I loved the whole concept and the outcome, very nice choice of colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, they are so pretty..loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you created the flowers! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete