Translate

Monday, January 21, 2013

Day 21 of Crumpets 31 DC - Melt or Merge


The theme for day 21 is Melt or Merge.  I decided to do a needle dry marble.  I was inspired by this mani HEREIsn't that gorgeous?  Mine didn't turn out as well, this swirl takes a steady hand, which I don't have.  Still, I like it...a lot.


I spent a lot of time researching on YouTube how to do this...too much time.  I was nervous about doing this technique, for some reason.  I finally decided that I had to just had to get over my fear and jump in with all 10 fingers.  There was no reason for my trepidation!  This was really easy.  I wanted use some of the new Zoyas I got during their 3 Free sale, so I chose some of the purples.  Here's how I did it.


I started with one coat of Orly Coffee Break as a base.  After it was fully dry, I added thick coated lateral stripes of the following (left to right).
  • Zoya Neeka
  • Zoya Adina
  • Orly Coffee Break
While still wet, I drew a big spiral (outside - in) through the polish with a needle.  If I was to do it again, I would use an orange stick or my smallest dotting tool as it would have dragged more of the polish (I think).  This mani took awhile to dry, because of the thickness of the coat, but it was worth the wait.

Without Flash

With Flash
 You can see that, on my middle finger, I did not place a thick enough coat or waited to long to draw my spiral.  When you do it right, any lines made by the needle get filled in with polish flow.  On my middle finger, you can still see the indent from the needle.  I think my favorite is my pinky, which surprisingly was the first one I did.  I think I started to over think it after that (tee hee).  Now on to the other "melties" and "mergies"

 

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome. I always way everything something. I held off on trying the sugar spun nails for months because I thought they would be way too hard. But they were so easy! I love the colors you picked.

    ReplyDelete