Translate

Friday, October 11, 2013

Inspired by Bria's Love for Tattoos

*Please note:  I was contacted by Hillary from Mentality Polish and notified that this is not Raucous.  We are trying to figure out what exactly is, possibly a mislabeled Foxy or maybe even a one-off unique polish.  I will let you know as soon as I know.  In the meantime, don't purchase Mentality Raucous and expect this.  


 From the moment I saw the list of prompts for The Crumpet Nail Tarts 33 Day Challenge, I knew what I was going to do for the prompt Indian.  Why?  Because every year Bria saves her money so she can get a henna tattoo at the state fair.  When I think of India, I think of Bollywood, the women in their beautiful saris and intricate henna tattoos.  By the manis posted in the challenge, it looks like I am not the only one!  Here are my nail tattoos.



I love how these turned out, so there are several pics :)


    Source: Cheers Beauty
 
If you don't know what henna tattoos are, they are "temporary tattoos" made using a paste of  a botanical dye used to draw intricate designs on the skin.  The paste is applied, dried and left on the skin for at least 4 hours causing a deep reddish brown staining.  The longer you leave it on, the darker the staining.  Traditionally it is an Eastern "feminine art" applied and worn by women on their hands and/or feet during ceremonial and celebratory occasions such as weddings and religious festivals.


I started with two coats of Julep Jennifer, a lovely sheer, pale nude that still has enough coverage in two coats to hide all the hideous nail stains (tee hee).  This is more opaque and has a more delicate pink tone than my favorite nude, Avon Ballerina.

Artificial Light

The next challenge was to find a polish to match that distinctive henna color.  When I received my Mentality polishes I knew that Raucous would be perfect!  Make sure you check back on Saturday for my Mentality haul/swatches.  You don't want to miss it, as these are my new favorite indie polishes.


Flash
 Mentality Raucous is a gorgeous MATTE satin/semi gloss reddish brown HOLO.  Really, don't neglect coming back on Saturday to see this unique lovely in all it's glory!


Now, I certainly couldn't get as intricate as the sample above, but I did try to get a lot of detail on those little canvas'.  I went with a more traditional design that I found online....but I am not going to show it to you because I am pretty proud of this and don't want you making comparisons (tee hee). 


I haven't been this happy with my nail art in awhile!  I am always most pleased when I have succeeded (in my eyes) with my freehand skills.


 I love how it not only has the right shade, but also, because of the matte quality, looks like the paste used.  Alright, I will stop gushing!

Tell me what you think.  Did I succeed, or do I have to high an opinion of these (tee hee).  I love hearing your thoughts!  And don't forget to check out all the different interpretations of "Indian".







4 comments:

  1. I love this design! Will you please email us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! it came out great. How strange the fact the polish was mislabeled. I guess that can happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I'm having another giveaway! for my first blog anniversary. Remember you won once? well this time I changed the rules and I'm giving 48 hours to respond, it was kind of unfair last time... so you might be lucky again!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the heads up! and 48 hours YEAH!

      Delete