Translate

Thursday, October 3, 2013

More Stamping Decals

Before the 33DC started, I started doing manicures.  Determined that I would not be doing and posting a every day, I worked ahead on the list.  Inevitably, I did the ones I was excited about and the ones that I had no idea on were left to be done later.  Suddenly I was faced with the prompt "Mexican" and I had no idea what to do and little time to do it.  I immediately did a Google image search.  Tacos, peppers and sombreros littered the web, so I decided to do a little "sombrero" mani.  Here is what I came up with. 



My stamping stash is filled with stamp I never use....the dreaded french tip patterns.  Why dreaded?  No matter how hard I tried, I can't get them lined up properly on my nails.  You may be saying "But Tina, these are lined up!".  You're right, they are....because I used the stamping decal technique.  Here is an image to give you an idea how it is done.  One of these days I will remember to do a step by step tutorial, but in the meantime, there are tons of them out there.  That is what Google is for, right?




The orange "thing" I stamp on is a silicone baking mat.  I tried plastic sandwich bags, but never was very successful with them.  This silicone mat is miraculous.  The decals peel off so easily, no more ripped decals!  These can be found all over the place, including Target, Walmart and Micheals, just to name a few.  I wish it was a different color though, like white....but who is going to use a white baking mat for cookies?  It will only end up looking dirty, even when clean.  So if anyone sees a light colored silicone mat around, let me know where!


I started with two coats of China Glaze Kalahari Kiss.  For the stamping decal I used BM-219 colored with OPI Schnapps Out of It (orange) and Zoya Monica (purple).


I ended up really liking these!  I still need some improvement with the decal technique, but that is true of all my nail art skills at this point (tee hee).

Thanks for looking and commenting!  Check out the other south of the border manis. 
Tina






7 comments:

  1. These are really gorgeous, and what a great way to do French tips! So much control with a decal. And I never thought of doing the decals on a silicone sheet--next time I'm at target, I'm going to pick one up. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I would like to claim that this was my idea....but it wasn't. It was someone over at Adventures in Stamping. They were using a silicone cake knife and I just took it a step farther..

      Delete
  2. Well done! I have a smallish (7x8") translucent white silicone hot glue mat I picked up for cheap at Michael's ages ago. It was in the floral section where they have the picks & pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and now I'm going to have to try that mat with decals too! 1st da polishicles, now da no-stick mat...you're brilliant!

      Delete
    2. INKY! It is so nice to see you again! I will have to be on the lookout for that mat. I always just end up folding my mat in half because it is so big.

      Delete