Translate

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pirates of the Caribbean Nail Art

The third installation of The Nail Challenge Collaborative's TV/Movies/Music theme is inspired by The Pirates of the Caribbean.  I recently purchased Messy Mansion's pirate plate and knew that this would be the perfect use for it.


I started with three coats of Dandy Nails Bound to Fail on all but my thumb.  Love this blue iridescent grey!  It is a staple of my stash.  Just search for it over there > in the search box if you want to see it swatched.  On my thumb I used Maybelline Bold Gold.  Can we take a minute here to discuss Bold Gold?  Bold Gold is my go to gold stamping polish, but I have never used it as a base before.  Never will again either.  The formula on the perfect stamping polish is atrocious!  It clumps and drags and goes on as smooth as a monkey's bottom.  In other words, not smooth at all.  This was fine for this application, as I was going for a gold coin type of thing, so it fit.  Can't see it fitting for anything else though.  However, Bold Gold is still a treasured polish in my stash....just for stamping though.

Image Source
  
Here is Messy Mansion MM37, otherwise know as the pirate plate.  Pirate perfection right there!  Julia makes some of the most glorious stamping plates and although this one has what I would deem "limited usage", I couldn't resist adding it to my cart.  Hubby looks at this and says, "Look, there is even a sexy woman pirate!"...Men!


 Index and pinkie are the map image.  Middle and ring is the sinking ship.  After stamping the ship, I added some stormy waves Essence Dive Deeper, Mentality Hero and Cult Nails Tempest.

 My beloved cursed pirate was made as a stamping decal using Rimmel Stilleto Red and NOPI Yoga then Yogurt.  Isn't he a handsome fellow?

 












Just a word about the sinking ship image.  I kept having this part of the image scraped bare and had to try several different angles.  I finally ended up scraping from the bottom right corner to the top left, but not at such an angle that the rigging lines were gouged.  Just know that it may take a few tries before you get the scraping angle right.


Have to say that I really ended up liking this one!  Just one more mani left for the theme...which kinda makes me sad :(  I have really enjoyed this month and could have easily come up with another four designs!  Thanks for looking and feel free to peruse the other manis from this month!






5 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Especially the stamping images of the pirate ships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! I had the same experience with essie good as gold as you did with bold gold- great for stamping- holy crap awful for actual polishing.

    ReplyDelete